Saturday 2 May 2009

Adds an extra purpose

Fenny Sterenborg


Fenny Sterenborg was born in 1956 in a small town in Groningen, a province in the north-east of the Netherlands. There she grew up as the eldest of four siblings. She still lives there today. She was married twice and has two sons, one from each marriage. Though she loves reading from a very early age on, instilled in her by her mother, she only recently (2005) started writing poetry. She publishes her poems on her web-site: Fenny’s Bla Bla Poetry Blog and is pleasantly amazed by the heart warming response and encouragement she gets. Though I still have a lot to learn, I’m pleased that so many enjoy my poems and thus add an extra purpose, she says.



Some of her poems

(All are under copyright )

Withered Grave

Forever yours

my dearly beloved one

Carved in stone, many years ago.

Underneath those loving words, a resting body

far too young, left by it’s soul.

A few lonely flowers come back every year,

but it’s apparent, no living soul is tending here.



From the date, by now, forever must also be gone.

But where did she go, this yours forever,

that dearly beloved one.

Why wasn’t she buried here with you,

like decided all those years ago.

I can only guess the reasons,

but I will never know.



Forever you lie alone, awaiting,

in this grave meant for two.

As I move on, I wonder,

perhaps she did too.




Noises

I woke up this morning


with the city's noises


fusing into my dream


A pride of lions


roaring in anger


The traffic, it must have been



A hunter shouting something


but I probably heard a street vendor


For a moment, total silence


then a shot rings out in the wild


Perhaps a car's broken exhaust


or the toy pistol from a child


The noises slowly become familiar


as I slip out of my dream


I hear the neighbours coming in


through the walls


and I yawn in the dawn's early gleam



The old man from below


like every morning


is listening to the radio


The children from upstairs


screaming their lungs out


and there are people stumbling in the hallway


as they go about



But from the young couple next door


usually fighting, not a sound


Did they finally reconcile

or at long last break up


like they were bound



Suddenly the people in the hallway scream and run


I hear the panic in their voices


and hurry out of bed


As I look through the peephole


I see the guy from next door


his shirt, bloodshed red


and in his hand a gun



Summer Colours

Long curls


lightest blond


like silver and gold


in the saffron sun

Summer dresses


cool white


show lots of skin


golden brown


Painted toenails


fierce red


in summer shoes


walk by

and catch eyes


green and blue


behind black shades


against the gleam

Lullaby

Softly lie down


and close your eyes so blue


worry no more


for tonight I'll watch over you


Gently rest your head


against my soothing chest


for here in my arms


you've found a safe place to rest


Sleep sweet child

in peaceful undisturbed dreams


and don't awake


until the morning beams

Bird Of Prey

Just before dawn


when it’s not dark anymore


but not light either


when everything is shadowless and grey


and only exists through soft whispers


and innuendo


and the air feels like pure silk


softly stroking his body


while the stillness of his motions


almost makes him seem sheer endless


but life itself lacks all meaning


other than to exist


that’s when he wings the sky


looking for prey

Earth's Decline



Never has there been


a greater injustice


or sin - if you would -


than man robbing earth


of all her beauty and good


leaving nothing but dearth

A Wintry Spell



Our town has disappeared


beneath last night’s ton of snow


and trees moan loud while bending double


under their heavy load


The warning’s out


everyone should best stay indoors


for expectations are


there will come down a whole lot more


The word disaster’s spread


all over the news


but when I look outside


all I see is beauty and peace


Suddenly our busy lives


have come full stop


and not used to taking it as it comes


that much

reactions are a bit over the top


So ease your minds

and lose your frowns


and enjoy this wintry spell


the heavens sent down


for in a week or two


at the most


the snow will all have melted


and disappeared


like an evanescent ghost

Thick Skin

Between the layers of my skin


I store all that hurts


and don’t want deep within


even if they’re only words

Lumps Of Ignorance



Pour me another cup of stupid


and sweeten it


with lumps of ignorance


for I feel better


not knowing

Eggshells

The eggshells crushed beneath her feet


when she decided to throw


precautions to the wind


and cross the line


Startled at first


with every little crack


she soon began to love the rhythm


that now accompanied every step


and never tread so light



No comments:

Post a Comment